Natural Justice has published this guide to provide an understanding of the requirements for public participation under the Kenyan Environmental (impact Assessment and Audit) Regulations (2003) to achieve the following objectives:
- To provide a brief description of the legal framework and the applicable laws.
- To outline the legal obligation to undertake environmental assessments (also types of EIA processes).
- To explain the triggers for an environmental assessment and requirements for different EIA processes.
- To provide an outline of the EIA process.
- To explain the importance of public participation in EIA processes
- To highlight the rights and opportunities to participate in the environmental assessment process.
- To outline public participation requirements in the EIA process and prepare the public to engage with the process.
- To provide samples and templates that can be used in the EIA process.
This guide is primarily intended for Civil Society Organizations, Community-Based Organizations (CBOs) and members of the public so that they can understand the obligations and responsibilities of the National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) and other government agencies in relation to public participation in EIAs as well as the stages in which the public can get involved
and contribute to the EIA process and influence the decision-making process. Click here to download or read.