The deCOALonize campaign is a movement committed to stopping the development of coal and coal-related industries for a clean and sustainable energy future in Kenya and the region. The campaign aims to do this through community engagement, public activism, and legal advocacy.
This campaign was formed by a coalition of environmental and social justice advocates concerned about the increasing interest in Kenya in coal exploration and power production. The Campaign is currently housed by Natural Justice, which also leads the litigation working group of the Campaign.
As part of its efforts and in collaboration with our partners, deCOALonize commissioned the filming of the deCOALonize Journey documentary to tell the remarkable story of its journey thus far.
The deCOALonize campaign is seeking to engage the services of a documentary editor for the purposes of dubbing and subtitling the deCOALonize Journey documentary to Swahili and Swahili to English. The goal is to increase accessibility and uptake of the documentary to not only the fence-line communities in Lamu and Kitui but to a wider audience, including key populations in Kenya and globally.
Scope of work:
Through this contract the consultant(s) will be expected to deliver:
1. A professionally done and well-edited, subtitled version of the deCOALonize Journey documentary in English and Swahili.
Deliverables and reporting:
The incumbent will work on this specific assignment with the Communications Officer as directed by the Campaign Coordinator, within a 2-week timeline.
Required skills and experience:
● Diploma/Bachelor’s degree in Film Studies or related field.
● At least three (3) years of progressively relevant work experience in documentary editing.
● Strong editing skills using video software such as Adobe After Effects, Final Cut Pro X, Avid, Media Composer, Lightworks and Premiere
● Knowledge of digital cinematography and the post-production process
● Fluency in English and Swahili is required.
● Good working knowledge of environmental justice issues related to deCOALonize’s scope of work.
● A creative eye, time management skills and the ability to function well under pressure.
How to Apply:
If you meet the criteria above and are interested in this opportunity, please send your application to: email@example.com with the subject: deCOALonize Documentary Editor. Attach a link to your reel/ portfolio, cover letter, CV and budget.
Please note that deCOALonize will hold full copyrights of all edited material; any use shall require permission from the deCOALonize campaign.
Deadline for submission: November 4th, 2022.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.