Natural Justice is an organisation rooted in the struggles of communities in Africa. As a team of pioneering lawyers and legal experts, we specialise in human rights and environmental law in pursuit of social and environmental justice. Natural Justice strives to enhance the collective rights of people and protect the sacred relationships that indigenous peoples and local communities have with nature. Our work is informed by the values, knowledge and self-determination of the communities whom we stand in solidarity with.
Through legal empowerment, research, policy influencing and litigation, and as part of coalitions and campaigns, we support communities to know the law, use the law and shape the law. Natural Justice has three main pillars: Affirming and Securing Rights to Lands, Resources and Knowledge; Defending Rights against Environmental and Social Impacts; and Standing with Communities.
To learn more about the work of Natural Justice please refer to www.naturaljustice.org
Who are we looking for?
Natural Justice seeks a full-time Senior Finance & Operations Officer (SFOO) to join its Southern Africa hub (Cape Town based role). The hub works across South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Mozambique. The successful candidate will work with a passionate team of staff will be responsible for assisting and supporting the work of the Cape Town Hub Director (‘Hub Director’) for Natural Justice (NJ) and, where applicable Chief Financial & Operations Officer (CFOO) to ensure the efficient day-to-day operations of NJ and to implement efficient and diligent financial practices.
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Provision of effective and efficient financial and administrative support to the Hub Director
- Perform the full financial accounting function, including procurement processes and variance analysis
- Facilitate and prepare the budget and forecast processes for the organisation, drawing figures and information from regional offices and ensuring it aligns with organisational objectives
- Understanding contracts and assessing whether transactions are aligned to contract terms
- Maintain internal control system and ensure compliance with NJ policies
- Assist in development of institutional and donor proposal budgets & external audits
- Preparation of local and international payments
- Timely submission of monthly and annual financial reports
- Maintenance of fixed asset register, depreciation and assessment of useful life
- Ensuring compliance with tax and accounting laws and regulations
- Prepare and administer payroll and tax remittance
- Ensure strict adherence and compliance to financial control systems, policies and procedures
- Monitor budget implementation and expenditures and communicate outcomes to Hub Director for decision making
- Ensure efficient payments and disbursements according to approved policy and procedures
- Perform bank and vendor reconciliations
- Work with the Hub Director and other members of the finance and operations team to ensure smooth running of the finance and operations of the organisation
- Examine and analyse financial information and present findings to the Hub Director and CFOO
- Perform month- and year end procedures, and prepare reports
- Manage cashflow
- Assisting in the development and maintenance of an integrated financial and reporting system that takes into account consolidation of financial statements including regional offices
- Supervise and lead a team where necessary
- Develop and conduct internal audit procedures and systems
- Prepare financial statements, reconciliations and audit file for external audits
- Liaise with external auditors
- Preparation of monthly management accounts, as well as management and Board reports
- Maintaining all necessary records including invoices, expenses, payments and transactions
- Develop key performance indicators, dashboards and reporting tools for performance and budget tracking
- Ensuring high quality reporting and robust processes are in place to support the team
- Provide monthly up-to-date and accurate funder and project reports to the CFOO and project coordinators.
Qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor of Commerce degree (BCom)
- Qualified accountant with at least five years’ post articles experience in financial accounting and reporting
- Full financial accounting function, including procurement experience and a strong working knowledge of Pastel or similar accounting software
- Excellent knowledge of IFRS for SMMEs and strong working knowledge in local GAAP
- Experience in multi-donor financial accounting and management or equivalent experience
- Experience in the non-profit environment will be an added advantage
- Membership of Professional Accounting Body will be an added advantage.
- Advanced Excel knowledge
- Proactive approach to work and good self-motivation
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Excellent inter-personal skills and ability to deal with people from different cultures
- Ability to deal authoritatively with a range of partners and contractors
- A strategic thinker with strong leadership capabilities, highly motivated, committed and goal orientated
- Ability to work flexibly and to adapt to changing demands and circumstances.
Natural Justice offers a competitive salary commensurate with skill and experience, with additional medical aid benefits, provident fund and access to a laptop and technical support. The position is for permanent, full-time employment.
The successful candidate will be based in Cape Town. They are expected to begin work as soon as possible.
Natural Justice is an African organisation and preference is given to those applying from African countries, but particularly from countries supported by the Southern African team. We support the development of young, African, legal and human rights professionals and promotes representation and diversity within our hiring practices.
How to apply:
Please email your application no later than 15 August 2022 to email@example.com with “CT: SFOO” in the subject line.
Applications must include:
- A motivation letter that indicates a) why you are interested in this position; and b) aspects of your background that demonstrate the required competence for this role;
- A detailed CV with three contactable references.
Please ensure that your application as a whole speaks to the required qualifications, experience, personal profile and key roles and responsibilities. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Shortlisted candidates will be expected to take part in at least one interview. Should it be necessary, Natural Justice may require a second interview which may involve a short, written exercise and presentation on a relevant issue pertaining to the job.
All the best!
Deadline: Midnight SAST, 15 August, 2022