What are we looking for?
Based on the intersecting crises including environmental and climate, human rights abuses, patriarchy, race and inequality amongst others, Natural Justice is in a key phase to expand its work to stand behind more communities across Africa.
Natural Justice seeks a lawyer to join the Southern Africa team as legal support officer based in Mozambique.
The successful candidate will be based in Mozambique and will play a pivotal role in building the work of Natural Justice in Mozambique and providing legal support to rural and local communities, particularly in relation to climate justice matters, indigenous rights, land rights and environmental rights. They will work with a passionate team of staff within the Southern Africa hub and frequently collaborate with staff across the organisation.
The Southern Africa hub works in South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe and is seeking to expand its work to Mozambique. The successful candidate will be required to travel regularly within Mozambique and occasional international travel, including to the hub’s Cape Town office. They are expected to begin work as soon as possible.
What’s on offer?
Natural Justice is a small, close-knit and nurturing collective that places emphasis on facilitating opportunities for the professional and personal growth of its members. Natural Justice will offer a nationally competitive salary commensurate with skill and experience. The contract length will be full-time for one year with the intention of a longer-term arrangement. Joining Natural Justice will also give the successful candidate a chance to work with a passionate and professional team in a fast-paced environment and gain valuable national and regional experience.
The Legal Support Officer will be supported by a Legal fellow in Mozambique and will work closely with the Hub Director and team from the Cape Town Hub, to develop and implement the work of Natural Justice in Mozambique. They will undertake a comprehensive situational analysis of strategies that communities and CSOs in Mozambique use to tackle climate injustices, comprehensive review of climate jurisprudence and development of strategy and initiate, plan, implement and manage projects and activities (including timelines and deliverables) in Mozambique.
The key roles and responsibilities
The Legal Support Officer will be expected to, amongst other things:
- Implement and oversee the work of Natural Justice in Mozambique.
- Engage in constitutional and environmental policy research, advocacy and support strategic litigation in environmental and climate litigation case, where relevant.
- Support local communities in Mozambique affected by climate change and large-scale extractives, infrastructure and other projects, by providing legal advice, and by supporting legal empowerment approaches.
- Provide high quality legal advice and support to communities that Natural Justice works with and its partners.
- Support environmental defenders and communities in affirming their customary rights.
- Undertake legal research, write submissions and provide opinions on environmental and climate justice issues.
- Contribute to the overall Natural Justice programme and strategy in Mozambique.
- Form and maintain good working relationships with all key partners including communities, government entities and donors.
- Collaborate with Natural Justice staff in the Cape Town Hub and other countries.
- Completed legal qualification and admission as an attorney or advocate in Mozambique.
- A good knowledge of Mozambique’s constitutional and administrative law, including human rights, land & environmental law, or a clear ability to acquire the necessary knowledge within a short space of time.
- At least two years’ post-admission experience in a legal environment.
- Self-starter and ability to work independently.
- Good legal research skills in law, policy and social issues.
- Sound written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to grasp quickly and accurately new and complex concepts.
- Ability to work under pressure and as part of a team.
- Ability to balance priorities and co-ordinate work effectively in order to meet deadlines and deal with high workloads.
- Conviction in and commitment to constitutionalism and principles of environmental justice.
- Sound emotional intelligence skills to enable interaction with persons from all sectors of the society.
- Proficient in English and Portuguese. Fluency in another local language would be advantageous.
Deadline: 6 August 2021
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following subject line: “CT: Legal Support Officer, Mozambique”.
Applications must include:
- A motivation letter that indicates: a) why you are interested in this position and what inspires you about environmental justice; and b) aspects of your background that demonstrate the required competence for this role;
- A detailed CV with three contactable references; and
- Two samples, if possible, of your past written work (for example, articles or research reports).
Please ensure that your application as a whole speaks to the required qualifications, experience, personal profile and key roles and responsibilities. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Best of luck!
The Natural Justice Team