What we are looking for?
Based on the intersecting crises including environmental and climate, human rights abuses, patriarchy, race and inequality amongst others, Natural Justice is in a key phase to expand its work to stand behind more communities across Africa.
Natural Justice seeks a lawyer to join the Eastern Africa team as a consulting legal officer to be based in Somalia.
The successful candidate will be based in Somalia and will play a pivotal role in building the work of Natural Justice in Somalia and providing legal support to rural and local communities, particularly in relation to climate justice matters, indigenous rights, land rights and environmental rights. They will work with a passionate team of staff within the Eastern Africa hub and frequently collaborate with staff across the organization. The Eastern Africa hub works in Kenya, Ethiopia, Tanzania and Uganda and is seeking to expand its work to Somalia. The successful candidate will be required to travel regularly within Somalia and occasional international travel, including to the hub’s Nairobi office. They are expected to begin work as soon as possible
What is on offer?
Natural Justice is a small, close-knit and nurturing collective that places emphasis on facilitating opportunities for the professional and personal growth of its members. Natural Justice will offer a nationally competitive salary commensurate with skill and experience. The contract length will be full-time for one year with the intention of a longer-term arrangement. Joining Natural Justice will also give the successful candidate a chance to work with a passionate and professional team in a fast-paced environment and gain valuable national and regional experience.
The Consulting Legal Officer will work closely with the Hub Director and team from the Nairobi Hub, to develop and implement the work of Natural Justice in Somalia. They will undertake a comprehensive analysis of climate justice networks and movements in Somalia, review strategies that communities and CSOs in Somalia use to tackle climate injustices, review the status of environmental and human rights defenders, review the legal and policy frameworks to advance and environmental and climate justice, and initiate, plan, implement and manage projects and activities (including timelines and deliverables) in Somalia.
The key roles and responsibilities
The Consulting Legal Officer will be expected to, amongst other things:
• Implement and manage the work of Natural Justice in Somalia.
• Engage in constitutional and environmental policy research, advocacy and support local communities in Somalia affected by climate change and large-scale extractives, infrastructure and other projects, by providing legal advice, and by supporting legal empowerment approaches.
• Provide high-quality legal advice and support to communities that Natural Justice works with and its partners.
• Give legal support and advice to environmental defenders and communities.
• Undertake legal research, write submissions and provide opinions on environmental and climate justice issues.
• Contribute to the overall Natural Justice programme and strategy in Somalia.
• Form and maintain good working relationships with all key partners including communities, government entities and donors.
• Collaborate with Natural Justice staff in the Nairobi Hub and other countries.
• Completed legal qualification and admission as an advocate in Somalia
• A good knowledge of Somalia’s constitutional and administrative law, including human rights, land & environmental law, or a clear ability to acquire the necessary knowledge within a short space of time.
• At least 3 – 4 years’ post-admission experience in a legal environment.
• Self-starter and ability to work independently.
• Good legal research skills in law, policy and social issues.
• Sound written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to grasp quickly and accurately new and complex concepts.
• Ability to work under pressure and as part of a team.
• Ability to balance priorities and coordinate work effectively in order to meet deadlines and deal with high workloads.
• Conviction in and commitment to constitutionalism and principles of environmental justice.
• Sound emotional intelligence skills to enable interaction with persons from all sectors of society.
• Proficient in English and Somali/ Arabic.
• Fluency in another local language would be advantageous.
How to apply
Applications should be submitted via e-mail to email@example.com with the subject line “NBO: Legal Officer, Somalia”.
Applications must include:
- A motivation letter that indicates: a) why you are interested in this position and what inspires you about environmental justice; and b) aspects of your background that demonstrate the required competence for this role;
- A detailed CV with three contactable references; and
- Two samples, if possible, of your past written work (for example, articles or research reports).
Please ensure that your application as a whole speaks to the required qualifications, experience, personal profile and key roles and responsibilities. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 30th September 2021