Who is the PHA Food and Farming Campaign?
The PHA Food & Farming Campaign works to protect the Philippi Horticultural Area for the benefit of all citizens of Cape Town.
What are we looking for?
As part of the work of Natural Justice in Southern Africa, there has been an increasing demand to have community members trained and placed within their communities to support the organisation’s work and ensure that the community remains informed about their rights and empowered to affirm and defend their human and environmental rights. CELOs are paralegals selected from within communities, and are rooted in the cultural heritage, aspirations and struggles of the community. The CELO in this position will work closely with the PHA Food and Farming campaign to support its work to protect the aquifer, amongst other struggles.
The successful candidate will join a team of Community Environmental Legal Officers across Southern Africa and will receive support from and work closely with the Natural Justice Cape Town Hub. The CELO will be based at the PHA Campaign office in Philippi.
- Tertiary qualification in social, environmental sciences, law, or a related qualification – completed or in progress.
- Have a good understanding of the Philippi Horticultural Area Food and Farming Campaign.
- Keen interest in and commitment to protecting the environment and advocating for the Philippi Horticulture Area.
- Be willing to sign up to the Philippi Horticultural Area Food and Farming Campaign.
- Professionalism, strong work ethic, and personal initiative (“a self-starter”).
- Critical and analytical thinking.
- Ability to mobilize communities.
- Sound written and oral communication skills.
- Willingness and ability to travel within and outside of the community
- Knowledge of Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
- Access to internet.
- Driver’s license.
- Between the age of 25 and 45.
- Bilingual (Afrikaans & English).
How to apply?
Deadline: 12 December 2021
Please email a detailed CV and a motivation letter indicating why you are interested in the position to email@example.com with with the following subject line: “CT: CELO, PHA”.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Best of luck!
The Natural Justice Team