Natural Justice is an organization rooted in the struggles of communities in Africa. As a team of pioneering lawyers and legal experts, we specialize in human rights and environmental law in pursuit of social and environmental justice.
Natural Justice strives to enhance the collective rights of people and protect the sacred relationships that indigenous peoples and local communities have with nature. Our work is informed by the values, knowledge and self-determination of the communities whom we stand in solidarity with.
Through legal empowerment, research, policy influencing and litigation, and as part of coalitions and campaigns, we support communities to know the law, use the law and shape the law.
Natural Justice has three main pillars: Affirming and Securing Rights to Lands, Resources and Knowledge; Defending Rights against Environmental and Social Impacts; and Standing with Communities.
To learn more about the work of Natural Justice please refer to www.naturaljustice.org
What we are looking for
Natural Justice seeks a Communication Fellow who will work across the organization to support the Campaigns and Communications Officer in the implementation of an ambitious, high-quality, and impactful campaigns and communications agenda based on the Natural Justice strategic plan and priorities.
You will play a key role in supporting technical communication work – ensuring design and layout of print material as well as digital graphic design work. Working with a professional camera shooting high quality footage and quality editing of the same. You will also support in managing social media and, particularly interpreting the social media analytics and developing a template of action to boost audience engagement. You will also conceptualize and design our branding materials including brochures, banners etc.
You will directly work with the Campaigns and Communications Officer in Kenya and interact with the Snr. Communications Officer and Head of Campaigns and Communication as well as staff across all programs.
How to apply
Applications to be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Fellow” in the subject line.
Applications must include:
- A motivation letter indicating why you are interested in this position and aspects of your background that demonstrate the required competence for this role.
- A detailed CV with three contactable references; and
- Samples of your past work especially on videography and graphic design work (for example, short social media videos shot and edited by you; infographics and or flyers designed by you etc).
- Evidence of multimedia storytelling.
Please ensure that your application speaks to the required qualifications, experience, personal profile and key roles and responsibilities. Please do not apply if you do not meet the required experience.
Deadline: 2nd July 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Key roles and responsibilities – Communications Fellow
- Help implement communication strategies.
- Support the multimedia story telling plan.
- Track projects and media mentions and analyze any trends you see.
- Manage the contact database.
- Maintain the communication calendar and suggest activities.
- Support in social media management – particularly reports on audience analysis.
- Develop concepts, graphics and layouts for social media, program reports and website content.
- Video editing and Photography.
- Excellent IT skills, especially with design, video, and photo-editing software.
- An understanding of social media as an advocacy tool.
- Exceptional creativity and innovation.
- Excellent time management and organization skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to balance priorities and co-ordinate work effectively to meet deadlines and deal with high workloads.
- Must have completed bachelor’s degree in journalism/Public Relations/Communication
- Able to use Canva or Knowledge of other Desktop Publishing software like InDesign.
- Able to use a professional camera to shoot stills and video.
- Able to tell powerful stories using pictures or short videos.
- Good knowledge of social media marketing a plus.
- Good knowledge of email marketing – understanding of Mailchimp a plus.
- Demonstrable ability to design and launch petitions a plus.
- Demonstrable ability to write good press releases a plus.
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili