Who is Natural Justice?
Natural Justice is an organisation rooted in the struggles of communities in Africa. As a team of pioneering lawyers and legal experts, we specialise in human rights and environmental law in pursuit of social and environmental justice. Natural Justice strives to enhance the collective rights of people and protect the sacred relationships that indigenous peoples and local communities have with nature. Our work is informed by the values, knowledge, and self-determination of the communities whom we stand in solidarity with. Through legal empowerment, research, policy influencing and litigation, and as part of coalitions and campaigns, we support communities to defend and affirm rights to their lands and environments. To learn more about the work of Natural Justice please refer to www.naturaljustice.org
What are we looking for?
NJ is looking for a Communications and Media Coordinator with experience in amplifying struggles for climate justice and human rights in Africa.
In collaboration with NJ’s Communications Officers in Dakar, Nairobi and Cape Town, the coordinator will support NJ’s Head of Campaigns and Communications in developing and implementing media, social media plans and content for NJ’s key priorities across the continent including: prominent court cases, litigation campaigning and legal empowerment; regional- global multilateral process including UNFCCC and COP27 and CBD COP15; alliance and consortium led campaigns and; cross cutting donor funded projects and initiatives. The candidate will also coordinate and service immediate and ongoing communications needs related to NJ’s website, newsletters and Mailchimp databases for regional media, allies and followers.
What’s on offer?
NJ is a close-knit and nurturing collective that places emphasis on facilitating opportunities for the professional and personal growth of its members. NJ will offer a competitive salary commensurate with a mid-level post, and the candidate’s skill and experience. Joining NJ will also give the successful candidate a chance to work with a passionate continental team in a fast-paced environment and gain valuable international experience. The position is a 12-month contract with the possibility of extension, dependent on funding. The successful candidate will be based in any African country, with preference given to applicants able to be based in Natural Justice offices in Kenya, South Africa and Senegal.
Key duties and responsibilities:
Working closely with the Head of Campaigns and Communications, and in collaboration with communications officers in NJ’s hubs, to develop communication calendars and coordinate content, media and social media plans that synergise and amplify NJ’s continental and global work, including but not limited to:
- Convene and coordinate communications officers in NJ’s hubs to develop content and media plans that communicate NJ’s key court cases to the media and the public.
- Coordinate communications officers in NJ’s hubs in the development and delivery of coherent communications and media plans in support of NJ’s participation in alliance and consortium campaigns (African Activists for Climate Justice); and events and initiatives in the lead up to and at COP (UNFCCC); COP (CBD), and other multilateral processes.
- Support the Head of Campaigns and Communication by managing consultant multimedia producers for documentaries and audio series (i.e. NJ’s podcast).
- In collaboration with NJ’s team, project-manage the website refresh; newsletters; annual reports, and maintenance of MailChimp databases, including the development of a continental database of media contacts.
- Informed by content and dissemination plans, coordinate communications officer’s maintenance of NJ’s websites as well as all social media and fundraising sites.
- Support with press liaisons and media engagement.
- Assist the NJ team during fundraising or project design phases to identify appropriate communication activities for respective projects.
Qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism, public relations or a related field or equivalent experience.
- At least five-seven years of similar work experience is required, with specific experience in convening and collaborating with teams, and coordinating communications and media projects.
- A passion for planning, coordinating, and using communications to advance campaigns, amplify struggles, and advocate for environmental and social justice.
- An understanding of the multiple and intersecting crises facing people and planet, with clarity on the intersection of social, racial, economic, gender and environmental rights and justice.
- Familiarity with the African media landscape, as well as multilateral and development spaces, and human rights mechanisms specifically those relevant to biodiversity, climate justice, indigenous and human rights.
- The candidate should be able to work independently – with minimum supervision and guidance from supervisors.
- The candidate will be expected to be self-motivated, reliable, with the ability to prioritize, pay attention to detail, take initiative and deliver on agreed actions and tasks on deadline.
- Demonstrable experience with press liaisons, content planning, gathering and production, and social media management (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram use and analytics).
- Skills and experience in multimedia content production, packaging, and dissemination, strong writing and editing skills, including newsletter templates and distribution (Mailchimp).
- Website management (WordPress), Google analytics and Google Drive.
- The candidate must be proficient in English, and preferably second language French.
- The candidate should have a high level of integrity, accountability, punctuality, and commitment to collaboration.
- Women and feminists encouraged to apply.
Applications should be submitted by 29 August, 2022 via email to email@example.com with ‘Communications and Media Coordinator’ in the subject line.
Applications must include:
- A motivation letter that indicates a) why you are interested in this position and what inspires you about this post; and b) aspects of your background that demonstrate the required competence for this role;
- A detailed CV with three contactable references; and
- Links to two samples of your recent written and published work (for example, press releases, articles or opeds), together with any multimedia newsletters or publications you’ve coordinated. If you’d like to share other work, like multimedia products and social media campaigns you’ve led, feel free to share further links.
Please ensure that your application states your location (country and city of residence) and speaks to the required qualifications, experience, personal profile and key roles and responsibilities. Please do not apply if you do not meet the required experience. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
All the best!
Deadline: 23.59 CAT, 29 August 2022.