Natural Justice is an African non-profit organization specializing in environmental justice. Natural Justice uses the law to support communities participate in decisions that affect their land, culture, and environment. Natural Justice works in a number of African countries, with offices in Kenya, South Africa, and Senegal.
Natural Justice has been working with communities, NGOs, and government agencies in Kenya since 2009. Together with our partners, we conduct comprehensive research on environmental and human rights law, use community legal empowerment approaches, including community paralegals, to support communities protect their access to lands, resources, and traditional knowledge, provide legal support and training to project partners, undertake litigation and make submissions on law and policy. To learn more about the work of Natural Justice please refer to www.naturaljustice.org
What are we looking for?
Natural Justice is growing and seeks a dynamic and focused Senior Program Officer to join its Nairobi Hub. The Hub works across Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Somalia, and Ethiopia. The successful candidate will work in the coordination, implementation, and further development of our work across all three workstreams in relation to land rights, climate justice, resource rights, human rights touching on indigenous people and local communities.
The successful candidate will be based with the Natural Justice team in Nairobi.
How to Apply:
Applications should be submitted via email to email@example.com with ‘NBO: Snr. Program Officer’ in the subject line.
Applications must include:
- A motivation letter that indicates a) why you are interested in this position and what inspires you about environmental justice; and b) aspects of your background that demonstrate the required competence for this role;
- A detailed CV with three contactable references; and
- Two samples, if possible, of your past written work (for example, articles or research reports).
Please ensure that your application as a whole speaks to the required qualifications, experience, personal profile, and key roles and responsibilities. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Closing Date for Applications: Friday 23rd July 2021.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Support the development and implemention the country program strategy, projects and annual plans
- Assist in providing technical and legal advice to partners, affected communities and other relevant stakeholders
- Support litigation where relevant including identifying litigation opportunities, providing strategic advice and conducting research for litigation efforts
- Support policy relevant analysis and research, contributing to the development and drafting of publications and submissions
- Develop and deliver community trainings on land and environmental laws and legal empowerment methodologies
- Support in managing paralegal teams, paralegal cases, case plans, deliverables, and timelines
- Assist the researcher in carrying out research tasks, including audits with CELO teams
- Write publications, research reports, concept documents, academic papers, organizational reports under the guidance of the Program Manager
- Support in the implementation of project M&E framework as well as measuring impact of the project
- Utilize and regularly update program management tools, communications tools and timekeeping tools
- Attend and represent Natural Justice in conferences and events that are relevant to the respective program components
Qualifications and experience required:
- At least 3 years of demonstrated work expertise in environmental law, including natural resource and/or land law, and administrative law
- A Bachelor of Laws, environmental, social science or equivalent degree
- A post graduate degree in law, political science or other relevant social science discipline is desirable
- Understanding of, and proficiency in, Kenya’s legal system and institutional arrangements and applied knowledge and experience in the civil society sector in the country/region
- Good experience working with marginalized groups especially in conduction field work and communicating complex legal issues
- Good experience conducting primary and/ por desktop research and relating research or project experiences to policy advocacy
- Basic experience writing applications and reporting to donors
- Good, demonstrated experience advocating for environmental justice
- Strategic thinker and works well in a collective
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proactive approach to work and good self-motivation
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili
- Citizen or permanent resident of Kenya or any other country within the EAC
- Ability to undertake frequent local and international travel