Who is Natural Justice?
Natural Justice is an organization rooted in the struggles of communities in Africa. As a team of pioneering lawyers and legal experts, we specialize in human rights, climate law and environmental law to pursue social, climate and environmental justice.
Natural Justice has been working with communities, NGOs, and government agencies in Kenya since 2009. Natural Justice strives to enhance people’s collective rights and protect the sacred relationships indigenous peoples, and local communities have with nature. Our work is informed by the values, knowledge, and self-determination of the communities with whom we stand in solidarity. Through legal empowerment, research, policy influencing and litigation, and as part of coalitions and campaigns, we support communities to know the law, use the law and shape the law. Natural Justice has three main programs: the Affirming Rights Program, Defending Rights Program and Standing with Communities Program.
To learn more about the work of Natural Justice, please refer to www.naturaljustice.org
What are we looking for?
Natural Justice seeks a full-time Human Resources Officer (HRO) in the East Africa Hub. Based in Nairobi, the HRO will report to the Hub Director and work closely with the Senior Human Resources and Operations Officer (SHROO). The HRO will be a human resources generalist, responsible for assisting and supporting the work of the hub whilst allocating 40% of his/her time to support the SHROO with the formulation, implementation and execution of the organisation’s HR strategy. The HRO will take full ownership of the day-to-day human resources functions of the hub, and will uphold and exemplify Natural Justice, its vision, mission, values and objectives,
Key duties and responsibilities
Recruitment & Selection
- Draft calls for applications for open positions and ensure they are in keeping with the organisation’s standards and advertise the positions as necessary.
- Coordinate staff recruitment and selection to ensure a timely organized and comprehensive procedure is used to hire staff.
- Inform line management of employment equity and/or other requirements for position before shortlisting candidates
- Schedule and assist with interviews where necessary
- Conduct reference checks for those grades where this is required
- Decline those candidates who were interviewed
- Provide assistance and advice to line management during the selection process
- Make offers to candidates, draft contracts and ensure that signed contracts are received
- Collect all documentation required for contract preparation from all new employees.
- Monitor contract expiry date by managing the electronic employee data sheet and ensuring that employees do not work without valid contracts.
Induction and Separation
- Ensure new employees are properly inducted into the organization through preparation and facilitation of the orientation program.
- Complete all hiring documentation with employees, including benefits administration
- Review onboarding and offboarding data analysis reports to determine the successes and areas for improvement.
- Support the HD to develop staff succession and retention strategy in consultation with the SHROO
- Ensure that accurate job descriptions are in place as well as provide advice and assistance in writing and updating job description, as needed
- Conduct staff exit interviews and facilitate effective staff clearance, documentation and release from the organization.
- Handle employment-related inquiries from applicants, employees, and supervisors, referring complex and/or sensitive matters to the Hub Director.
- Manage any HR-related issues raised by employees and escalate as necessary.
- Manage the grievance process
- Under the guidance of the HD and SHROO, coordinate disciplinary processes
- Participate in organisation-wide HR & operations meetings, representing the East African Hub.
- Under the guidance of the HD and SHROO contribute to policy development
- Ensure the implementation of Natural Justice policies including revisions and introduction of new policies as required.
- Identify initiatives, activities, and opportunities for innovation and improvement of the HR function for improved service delivery.
Team Management Processes
- Evaluate and make recommendations to HD and SHROO to improve organisational HR processes, procedures, and practices.
- In collaboration with the organisation’s human resources team, draft directives for NJ and train team members on those directives
- Guide and assist NJ HR team members where necessary.
- Draft and manage personal development plans of the hub
- Handle grievances and disciplinary matters in order to enhance organizational harmony
Training & Development
- Assist and support HD with skills development activities for NJ and the roll-out and record keeping of discretionary grants.
- Assist line managers in identifying training needs for staff, identifying suitable trainers or training institutions.
- Coordinate equity/skills meetings.
- Develop annual training plans for the hub
- Monitor training plans & training budgets.
- Liaise with the National Industrial Training Authority for approvals and reimbursements, as needed
Remuneration & Benefits
- Perform high level check of payroll reports with the finance team
- Sign off on wages and salary payrolls for the hub
- In consultation with the HD and SHROO, support salary administration including making salary offers, reviews and alignment as per the compensation guidelines and salary structure
- In coordination with the finance team, ensure that employee benefits are effectively managed
- Review service providers of employee benefits or the benefits themselves, as needed
- Assist the HD with conducting job evaluations on new and/or changed positions.
- Assist the HD with conducting salary benchmarking exercises and salary band reviews when required.
- Manage and maintain confidentially of employee records
- In collaboration with the HD develop key performance indicators for new positions
- Maintain or update existing key performance areas and key performance indicators.
- Manage the performance management process for the hb
- Coordinate with the program managers in ensuring the employee performance appraisals are completed on time.
- Assist and support the SHROO with drafting new policies
- Review existing policies and make recommendations to the SHROO for changes
- Implement changes to the policies as directed by the SHROO
- In collaboration with SHROO, develop communication and training plan to workshop new policies to staff
- Ensure that policies are implemented consistently and correctly
Organisational Development & Wellness
- Periodically conduct employee engagement surveys and provide HD and SHROO with feedback.
- In collaboration with the SHROO, develop organisational interventions to address issues raised in engagement surveys
- Manage implementation of wellness and other interventions aimed at improving organisational culture
- With the rest of the HR team, arrange and manage wellness days or programs.
- Arrange and manage sessions on diversity including sessions on feminist values, race and other related issues.
- Assist the SHROO with the development of specific policies as required by NJ.
General HR Administration and Support
- Assist employees with general queries.
- Assist the SHROO with the development and interpretation of policies and procedures.
- Ensure that all positions in the hub have up-to-date job descriptions
- Assist with job evaluations.
- Assist with ad hoc day-to-day general administrative work in HR, and perform other duties as assigned
- Work with SHROO to promote and preserve the culture of the organisation by providing advice and guidance on general matters concerning employees
- Ensure leave is taken and records are well kept.
- Ensure health and safety standards are adhered to by all the staff members
- Collect all documentation required for contract preparation from all new employees.
- Prepare and submit monthly HR reports to SHROO
- Prepare and submit quarterly HR reports to SHROO for Board meetings.
Risk & Compliance
- Assist HD to ensure organisation complies with all HR statutory reporting.
- Advise management on the legal and other implications resulting from certain HR related decisions.
- Keep records and compliance with the Protection of Personal Information Act
- Ensure compliance with internal policies and procedures
- Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law.
- Provide the SHROO with assistance and support during the organizational design processes.
- Assist with planning, formulation and implementation of an effective HR strategy
- Align Hub HR strategy with overall NJ HR strategy, processes and output s
- Complement the SHHROO in providing strategic guidance and coaching to guide senior management, and supervisors to mitigate risk on complex HR issues, in identifying, understanding and implementing NJ policies and practices related to workforce planning, safeguarding, performance, discipline, positive employee relations and related topics.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Human resources degree or higher diploma
- Membership with IHRM or relevant professional body preferred
- At least five years’ working experience in human resources preferably with an international or local NGO and good knowledge of HR best practices and standards.
- Excellent experience in and knowledge of labour laws, regulations, policies, principles, concepts and best practices.
- Proactive approach to work and good self-motivation
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Excellent inter-personal skills and ability to deal with people from different cultures
- Demonstrated commitment to respect, equity, diversity and inclusion including gender equality.
- Ability to deal authoritatively with a range of partners
- A strategic thinker with strong leadership capabilities, highly motivated, committed and goal orientated
- Ability to work flexibly and to adapt to changing demands and circumstances
- Ability to travel locally and, occasionally, within the region
- Be a citizen of Kenya or have authorization to work in Kenya
Deadline: 24th May 2023
Please email your application to email@example.com with the following subject line: “Human Resources Officer (HRO),East Africa Hub”.
Applications must include:
- A motivation letter that indicates: a) why you are interested in this position and what inspires you about environmental justice; and b) aspects of your background that demonstrate the required competence for this role;
- A detailed CV with three contactable references; and
Please ensure that your application as a whole speaks to the required qualifications, experience, personal profile and key roles and responsibilities. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Shortlisted candidates will be expected to take part in at least one interview. Should it be necessary, Natural Justice may require a second interview which may involve a short, written exercise and presentation on a relevant issue pertaining to the job.
Natural Justice is an equal opportunity employer that supports the development of young, African legal and human rights professionals and promotes inclusivity and diversity. Women and candidates from marginalised communities are encouraged to apply.