Natural Justice (NJ): Lawyers for Communities and the Environment is a non-profit organisation, specialising in human rights and environmental law, operating on the African continent and at the regional (African Commission on Human and Peoples Rights) and international (UN) levels.
What are we looking for?
NJ seeks a full-time Communications Officer in Nairobi who can help build our brand identity and our communication channels, with the aim to increase awareness of our community projects and legal work with communities affected by decisions on their local environments.
The communication officer will spend 50% of their time to support the deCOALonize campaign in Kenya. The deCOALonize campaign aims to provide information to local communities, policy makers, academics and civil society on the alternatives to coal and embracing clean energy in Kenya. It was created by a coalition of environmental and social justice advocates concerned about the increasing interest in Kenya on coal power production and exploration.
The officer will report to the Natural Justice Senior Communications Officer and the Natural Justice Programme Director. The successful candidate will be based in our Nairobi office, with frequent local travel and will be expected to begin work as soon as possible.
What’s on offer?
Natural Justice will offer a competitive salary commensurate with skill and experience. Contract length will be two years.
Key duties and responsibilities
Under the guidance of the senior communication officer based in Cape Town:
- Ensure relevant programme materials are developed and disseminated through social media channels and/or to partner organisations directly.
- Maintain and grow the following of the deCOALonize website and integrated news feed as well as all social media through daily monitoring, posting and content development in collaboration with programme staff; and assist the senior communications officer to do the same for NJ sites and social media.
- Develop and implement the communication strategy for deCOALonize.
- Assist the senior communications officer to manage a database and lists for NJ in Kenya and deCOALonize partners and members.
- Assist the senior communications officer with the management of all news blogs drafted by programme staff before content goes online.
- Write pieces with the support of programme staff and edit other publications.
- Track relevant news items via social media and distribute these among relevant staff members.
- Assist in the development of a communications calendar for NJ and deCOALonize, and contribute to the development of a media and communications strategy that he/she will implement.
- Coordinate media engagements, manage relationships, develop and maintain a database of media contacts.
- Develop and submit monthly communications reports.
- Provide input into fundraising and project design phases to identify and include appropriate communication activities for respective projects.
- Ensure timely and quality production of advocacy and branding materials such as newsletters for internal and external distribution, annual reports, picture stories, videos.
- Contribute content to the monthly internal communication newsletter and a quarterly newsletter for the general public.
- Archive all communication materials, including digital, such as publications, press releases and clippings, photographs, audio-visual materials, web resources, etc.
- Support donor relations through the development of brochures, case studies and other background materials.
- Support special events, meetings and campaigns through relevant communications tools, including publications, flyers, blogs, or online campaign strategies.
- Developing a deep knowledge on environmental justice issues in Kenya.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism, public relations, environmental studies or any related fields.
- At least two years of similar work experience is required.
- Experience in building media relations and contacts.
- Experience writing press releases and newsletters.
- Demonstrated social media management experience (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram use and analytics), including growing a social media follower base.
- Experience working on a campaign, understanding the public interest on specific issues and engaging audiences.
- Experience in advocating for social or environmental justice.
- The candidate must be proficient in English and Kiswahili.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and guidance from supervisors.
- The candidate will be expected to be a self-starter, reliable, has the ability to prioritise, pay attention to detail, and shows initiative at work.
- The candidate should have high levels of integrity, accountability, and punctuality.
- He/she should be a team player.
- Basic design and layout skills are an advantage.
- Experience in or knowledge of online newsletter distribution (MailChimp).
- Basic website management (WordPress), Google Analytics and Google Drive is an advantage.
Deadline: 4 December 2018
Please email your application to admin.nbo[at]naturaljustice.org with the job title in the subject line.
Include a motivation letter that indicates why you feel you are the best candidate for this position, a detailed CV with three references, and up to three samples of your past work. Please ensure that your application as a whole speaks to the required skills, experience, traits and attributes listed above.