Who is Natural Justice?
Natural Justice (NJ): Lawyers for Communities and the Environment is a non-profit organization, specializing in human rights and environmental law, operating on the African continent and at the regional (African Commission on Human and Peoples Rights) and international (UN) levels. We are a team of progressive legal practitioners who conduct comprehensive research on environmental and human rights law, support communities and local organizations, provide technical advice to governments and intergovernmental organizations, and engage in key international and regional processes in pursuit of social and environmental justice. NJ is headquartered in Cape Town, works in a range of African countries, and has teams in Kenya, Zimbabwe, Madagascar, Benin, and Guinea.
What are we looking for?
NJ is looking for a full-time Communications Officer (CO) who can help establish our brand identity and manage our communication channels, with the aim to increase awareness of our community projects and legal work and create fundraising and partnership opportunities.
What’s on offer?
NJ is a close-knit and nurturing collective that places emphasis on facilitating opportunities for the professional and personal growth of its members. NJ will offer a competitive salary commensurate with skill and experience. Joining NJ will also give the successful candidate a chance to work with a passionate and highly professional global team in a fast-paced environment and gain valuable international experience. The position is for 12 months with the possibility of extension, which is dependent on funding.
Key duties and responsibilities include:
- Working closely with the NJ team to ensure relevant programme materials are developed and disseminated through social media channels and/or to partner organisations directly.
- Be responsible for the content management of all news blogs drafted by programme staff before it goes online.
- Write pieces with the support of programme staff and edit other publications.
- Be on the lookout for relevant news items via social media and distribute these among relevant staff members.
- Develop a communications calendar for NJ and, assist with the development of an advocacy strategy that he/she will implement.
- Assist the NJ team during fundraising or project design phases to identify appropriate communication activities for respective projects.
- Maintain NJ’s website and integrated news feed as well as all social media and fundraising sites through daily monitoring, posting and content development in collaboration with programme staff.
- Ensure timely and quality production of advocacy and branding materials such as newsletters for internal and external distribution, annual reports, picture stories, videos.
- Manage the monthly internal communication newsletter and a quarterly newsletter for the general public.
- Archive all communication materials, including digital, such as publications, press releases and clippings, photographs, audio-visual materials, web resources etc.
- Support donor relations through the development of brochures and other background materials.
- Support special events, meetings and campaigns through relevant communications tools, including publications, flyers, blogs, or online campaign strategies.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism, public relations or a related field or equivalent experience
- Experience: At least three years of similar work experience is required. Candidate should be able to work independently – with minimum supervision and guidance from supervisors. The candidate will be expected to be a self-starter and show initiative at work.
- Demonstrated and extensive social media experience is an advantage.
- Basic design and layout skills and experience in using Adobe Photoshop and PageMaker are an added advantage.
- The candidate must be proficient in English. Proficiency in French is an advantage.
- The candidate should have high level of integrity, accountability, and punctuality.
- He/she should be a team player.
Deadline: Friday, 4 May 2018, 17:00.
Please email your application to the Johanna von Braun (johanna(at)naturaljustice.org.za) with the job title in the subject line.
Include a motivation letter that indicates why you feel you are the best candidate for this position, a detailed CV with three references, and up to three samples of your past work. Please ensure that your application as a whole speaks to the required skills and experience and desirable traits and attributes listed above.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.